Drag and Drop
TiddlyWiki uses drag and drop to power two separate features:
- Importing Tiddlers into TiddlyWiki
- Manipulating tiddlers within a TiddlyWiki
Tiddler manipulation via drag and drop is supported by the core user interface in the following contexts:
- Entries in the "Open" tab of the sidebar can be reordered by drag and drop; new tiddlers can be opened by dragging their titles into the list
- Entries within a tag pill dropdown can be reordered by drag and drop; new tiddlers can be assigned the tag by dragging their titles into the list
- Entries in the control panel "Appearance"/"Toolbars" tab can be reordered by drag and drop. (Less usefully, new entries can be added to the toolbars by dragging their titles into the list)
All tiddler links are draggable by default. They can be dragged within a browser window for manipulating tiddlers, or dragged to a different browser window to initiate an import operation
If you want to drag a link, first move it vertically, because horizontal movement is recognized by the browser as text selection.
Tag pills are also draggable, and are equivalent to simultaneously dragging all of the individual tiddlers carrying the tag.
Some common scenarios for drag and drop tiddler manipulation are available as reusable macros:
- list-links-draggable Macro for reordering the entries in a tiddler ListField
- list-tagged-draggable Macro for reordering the tiddlers that carry a specified tag
See DragAndDropMechanism for details of how to use the low level drag and drop primitives to build more complex interactions.
The standard HTML 5 drag and drop APIs used by TiddlyWiki are not generally available on mobile browsers on smartphones or tablets. The Mobile Drag And Drop Shim Plugin adds an open source library that implements partial support on many mobile browsers, including iOS and Android.